Welcome to my blog.

After a few random posts I've decided to dedicate this blog to my life long project of Japanese food
and culture (and my life in general, especially my travels).

Since my first taste of sushi back in 1997 I've been interested in, and frequently been making
Japanese food.
My interest in the country and culture started long before and continues to evolve.
I was lucky to finally visit Japan in October 2008, again in November 2019 and hope to be back soon.
In July 2012 I visited Japantown in San Fransisco, the next best thing!
I was lucky to be back in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2019 thanks to the fact that we now have family living in California.
Both small and big adventures will from now on, as time permits, be shared with you.

I will post other recipes and pictures too, mainly cooking projects, plants and art projects
(including my new love - making kumihimo braided objects).

I hope you'll find it interesting, and feel free to leave a comment or ask questions!

I write mainly in English, but there will be some Norwegian too, especially posts about things
that mainly have Norwegian interest. Tutorials are bi-lingual.

Sunday 15 March 2009

Japanese cooking, part 1

After reading a blog called Tess´s Japanese Kitchen while looking for a recipe, I've decided to post some of my ventures into the world of Japanese cooking as well.

I get recipes several places, from cookbooks, online, from my Japanese colleague...

My first project this week will be: Green tea ice cream + planting shiso (perilla).
I planted shiso last year with much luck, but sadly my plants died in the fall before I got to freeze anything or conserve it. This year I will plant daikon as well, with seeds I brought from Japan.

Green tea ice cream

2 egg yolks
5 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup of milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp green tea powder
3 tbsp hot water

Dissolve tea in water, set aside.
In a bowl, whisk eggs and sugar. Put the bowl over medium heat and add milk.
Whisk until thickening. Let it cool and add green tea mixture. Add whipped cream
and freeze in ice cream-maker or freezer.

Pictures in separate post above.

Monday 16.03.:
The ice cream is now well on it's way. I've stirred it twice, and had a small taste. It's fabulous! Can't wait to have a BIG scoop. This is one of the things I really miss from Japan...

Planting shiso (perilla)

Planting is set for Wednesday.
Got my seeds and pots ready, I'll get soil tomorrow.

19.03.09:
The seeds are planted. I'll post pictures when the first sprouts surface. I tried to repeat what I did last year when I got such a good result. We live in a different house now, so my window is angeled different, but I hope there will be enough sun anyway.

Daikon seeds to be planted a bit later in the spring.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!
I've only ever bought macha ice cream, but it sounds do-able to make. big jealous yum mmmmm!!!
As for growing shiso, I think it will likely re-seed and come up again in the spring. I was growing it in pots on a stone-paved patio for a couple of years and if I got out to re-plant the babies from between the stones, they did grow well.

Linuz said...

Yup, got all my ingredients lined up here, but sadly I don't have a ice-creammaker, so the freezer will have to do.

Thanx for the tip on shiso, last year I had them in pots, but there's nowhere they can re-seed on my veranda, so I have to start over. But this year I will plant them in my small garden as well as in pots.